General information for 2018
From Saturday, 29 till Saturday 06 October 2018 the 11th edition of the renowned „generations - international jazzfestival frauenfeld“ will take place. The jazz ensemble master class lasting several days is one of the reasons why „generations“ has become an international insiders’ tip; a stage for many upcoming national and international jazz talents. In 2018 this international master class will be upgraded to the „generations performance program“ by another important aspect: all participating instrumentalists will have the opportunity to perform two big band concerts under the guidance of the world-famous composer and big band leader Maria Schneider. Out of all applications the jury will will select 24 to 25 participants to form every day four ensembles and a big band, which the six tutors will alternately coach during generations.
Terms and Conditions
1. Age Limit: 28 year (born after 01 Januar 1990)
2. The „generations performance program“ takes place from Saturday, 29 September till Saturday, 06 October 2018. The final concert will be performed on 06 October at 19.00 at Casino Frauenfeld.
3. Application deadline: Sunday, 27 May 2018 Please apply exclusively via our application form on this website uploading your sound files. Further video links can be sent by email to: email@example.com
4. Application period opens on Monday, 19 March 2018.
5. The number of participants is limited to 24 - 25 musicians.
6. Participants will be selected and invited by a jury; there is no fee for active participation in the „generations performane program“ (free accommodation and lunch as well included). Participants have to take care of their travel expenses.
7. All applicants will be informed about the results of the selection starting on Monday, 04 Juni 2018.
8. In the evening of Wednesday, 03 October, a jury (including all six tutors and the artistic director of generations) will choose the members of the fellowship award band „generations Unit 2018“; Adrian Mears will start to work with them on Thursday morning.
9. The „generations Unit 2018“ will tour with Adrian Mears as musical director for several days in Summer 2019.
10. The same jury also selects the main support prize to a single musician: a complete studio recording (2 days), all costs are covered by generations.
11. The following tutors will work with the participants in the jazz ensemble master class: Donny McCaslin, Jason Lindner, Jason Maron, Nate Wood and Adrian Mears, who also coaches the „generations Unit 2018. Maria Schneider takes care of the generations Big Band and the composer seminar. Jam Sessions will take place from Sunday to Friday, starting at 23.00. The sessions are an important part of the „generations performance program“ as you will have the chance to play with your tutors and other festival musicians.
Please get in touch with me for further questions or information. Looking forward to it!
Requirements and target groupPostgraduates, alumni of University Jazz programs, experienced amateurs, but also young talents who like to improve. Style: Contemporary Jazz. Requirements: profund knowledge of jazz repertoire, i. a. the "Great American Songbook"; general playing experience.
Age limit 28 years of ageApplications can be made by all who are born after Jan 01, 1990 (28 years of age; exceptions may be granted by the artistic director).
From Monday,19 March only through the application form on this website including your sound samples (audio file uplodad directly during your application) Recordings should be with a recent group including the following style:
- a jazz standard (jazz tradition, e. g. “All the things you are”)
- a straight eights tune (modern jazz, e.g. “Maiden Voyage”)
In addition every applicant should record a medium or up-tempo blues accompanied by a metronome only (head and 3 choruses of solo).
Drummers should record “Billie’s Bounce” (head as melody and 3 choruses of solo). All popular audio files as MP3, AAC (m4a), wav and aiff are accepted. A jury will choose the approx. 25 participants after 01 June 2018.
All applicants will be informed about the results of the selection starting on Monday, 04 Juni 2018.
The registration period has expired, thank you for your understanding.
Private accommodation with guest families free of charge. Participants will be informed about the details through our secretary Miss Brigitte Conrad prior to arrival. Hotel rooms liable to pay costs can be booked over Tourist Services of the town of Frauenfeld, Bahnhofstrasse 75, CH-8500 Frauenfeld; phone number +41 52 721 31 28; fax +41 52 722 10 64; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please contact the artistic director Dominik Deuber: email@example.com